I think people are either a fan or meatloaf or they aren’t. And if you are a fan, then what you like on and in your meatloaf is as individual as we are. One of things that I love about living in Lancaster County is the ability to purchase meatloaf mix. If you haven’t tried it, you should because the combination of meat in the meatloaf mix makes the best meatloaf.
Are you a fan? I am not and I never have been. But a cook once and make ‘fresh’ meals from the leftovers, well I’m all about that!
What You Need
First, you need to make a meatloaf. I don’t care what your family favorite is, just do it! Make sure you make a meatloaf large that you’ll have at least half left over. I generally start with 2 packages of meatloaf mix, which is about 3 pounds of ground meat – and that’s just for 2 of us! I don’t use a recipe when I make meatloaf, but seriously use your favorite meatloaf recipe. I like to add GF panko, italian seasoning, egg, and some A1 to my meatloaf mix.
Bake as normal and enjoy a lovely meatloaf dinner. To make soup night even easier, serve your meatloaf with mashed potatoes, carrot and green beans – again, make extra. After dinner, safely store the leftovers. We’ll get back to them in a day or so.
Meatloaf SoupJump to Recipe
Then gather together everything you need:
- leftover meatloaf
- leftover mashed potatoes
- leftover vegies
- chicken or beef broth, I always use chicken
- more carrots, green beans, and potatoes
Pour 4 cups of broth into your soup pot – I use my dutch oven, along with 3 cups of water. Because we often don’t have veggies left over, I cut carrots and celery and let them cook in the broth. I also add more potatoes, diced. When the veggies are soft, add your diced meatloaf and the leftover mashed potatoes. The potatoes will melt into the broth, thickening your soup. Also, when I’m using fresh green beans, I tend to wait and add them with the meatloaf.
When I want a super quick dinner, I use a bag of frozen mixed veg!
Seriously, this is THE BEST soup and a great use for leftovers. Also – meatloaf soup wasn’t my idea. I originally saw it on Farmhouse Rules on Food Network and just ran with what I saw. I’ve never even looked up the recipe until today. See Nancy’s original Meatloaf Soup recipe. If you make this, let me know.
Carriage Corner's Meatloaf Soup
- 1 soup pot
- 1½ pounds leftover meatloaf cubed. you'll want to make extras of your favorite meatloaf. I prefer it without a glaze.
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 each potato peeled & diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- This recipe is a way to use up leftovers from a meatloaf dinner. It's Mr. Carriage Corner's favorite soup that I make.
- First, pour 6 cups of chicken stock into your soup pot and turn it on medium heat. Add the diced potato, cubed meatloaf and frozen mixed veggies.
- When the diced potato is cooked through, stir in the leftover mashed potatoes. They will basically melt into the soup, making it thick and creamy!
- Enjoy with a salad and rolls